October 18, 2020
Prophetic Workshop: Practicing Hearing the Spirit Together
Sam McVay Jr.
ABOUT this message //
Sam shares how a healthy New Testament Ekklesia prophesies one to another by speaking Spirit-inspired words to edify and build up faith.
Download Notes PDF (When Available)
1 Corinthians 14:1-5 (ESV)
1 Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy.
2 For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit.
3 On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation.
4 The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church.
5 Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.
1 Corinthians 14:39-40 (ESV)
39 So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.
40 But all things should be done decently and in order.
A healthy New Testament Ekklesia prophesies one to another.
That means that they speak “Spirit-Inspired” words to one another to edify and build up faith.
In larger meetings there are “rules of biblical order” for edification.
In regular relational body life there are “rules of biblical values” for edification.
It is my conviction that the body of Christ makes room for scripture growth and character growth but almost no place for gifting growth.
We want to “workshop” the prophetic tonight in groups.
Helping guidelines to aid the process:
1) Culture of Prayer: this process happens best in a culture of prayer
2) Holy Spirit Led: the Holy Spirit is always the leader of the process
3) Result: Building Faith in Christ: the end fruit will be Christ centered built up faith and courage
4) Spiritual Discernment Biblical Trait: practicing spiritual discernment is a biblical value
5) Supernatural becomes our natural: be supernaturally natural
6) Love each other by being selfless: take up a place of selfless service of love to each other
7) Core Identity Christ not capability: remember that your core identity is in Christ not how “good” you are at this
Sam McVay, 2020, October, Sermon, Prophecy