July 4, 2021
Developing a Jesus Hermeneutic
Sam McVay Jr.
ABOUT this message //
Sam teaches a practical method of interpreting the Scriptures by finding Christ in them via three classifications: types/shadows, prophesies, appearances.
Download Notes PDF (When Available)
Hermeneutic - a theory or method of interpretation
John 5:39-40 (ESV)
"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.”
Luke 24:27 (ESV)
“And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.”
Three Primary Methods of finding Christ in the Old Testament:
1. Types or shadow
a. Types - in 1 Corinthians 10:11 the word’s example is "typos". Also a “model or pattern”.
b. Shadows - in Colossians 2:16-17 uses the word "shadow" as temporary.
Both refer to a person, thing, or action in the Old Testament that point to a New Testament reality centered in Christ and his Kingdom.
2. Prophecies - direct predictive information about Jesus and his kingdom
3. Appearances - Pre-Incarnation appearances of Jesus as "THE Angel of the Lord" and "Word of the Lord Appeared"
1) Psalm 22 & Isaiah 9:6,7
2) Genesis 18, 1 Samuel 3:21, Genesis 15:1
3) Genesis 14:17-20
Trust the Scriptures
Why trust the scriptures?
I have two primary reasons that I believe this ancient document called the scriptures.
1. Logical Reason: The death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is the most well-proven and documented event in ancient history.
2. Heart Reason: My inmost heart tells me that the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is the greatest truth on planet earth.
Quick lesson in how we prove that ancient history actually happened:
1. Number of corroborating extra-Biblical resources
- Julius Africanus
- Pliny the Younger
2. Archeology has overwhelmingly confirmed Bible history
- the ark
- life of Jesus details
3. Manuscripts: number and age
- Plato; 427-347BC
* Two ancient copies which were written 1,200 years after Plato’s time
- Julius Caesar; 100-44BC
* Ten ancient copies of his Gallic Wars dating around 1000 years after he lived
- Homers Iliad; 900BC
* 643 copies dating around 500 years after Homer’s time.
* The 643 copies have a 95% accuracy rate with each other.
- Jesus Christ; 0-33AD
* 5,600 copies dating as early 50-100 years after his death.
* The 5,600 copies have a 99% accuracy rate compared to each other.
4. Fulfilled prophecies:
- Hundreds of prophecies that were given centuries before were accurately fulfilled in lives of nations and Jesus.
The reality is that the Bible is the best-attested-to historical document in ancient history. None come close.
As one author said: If the Bible was about secular information and not “religion” it would be affirmed by every major learning institution in America.
So I agree with Josh McDowell when asked why he believed in Jesus and his resurrection: “Because I cannot deny history!”
Sam McVay, Jr., Sermon, Hermeneutic, Bible